A few weeks ago, while I was pinning on Pinterest, I kept coming across cookies rolled in oreo cookie crumbs. Most of the cookies were Snickerdoodles and as much as I like Snickerdoodles, rolling them in oreo cookie crumbs wasn't doing it for me.
I kept thinking...well, I do like Oreos...what about a peanut butter cookie rolled in oreo cookie crumbs? I went to my pantry and sitting (all by itself) in the back corner was a box of Oreo Cookie Crumbs. Ah, here was a cookie worth eating. I made my favorite peanut butter cookies from my Peanut Butter Blossom recipe. I like this recipe because the cookies have a wonderful nutty flavor and they aren't too sweet.
Instead of rolling them in sugar, I rolled them in the Oreo Cookie crumbs. If you can't find the crumbs, use a sleeve of oreo cookies and grind them into crumbs using a food processor. The crumbs will be sweeter but that is ok, these cookies aren't overly sweet.
The house smelled amazing as they cooked, there is nothing better than the smell of sweet peanut butter! As they came out of the oven I couldn't wait to taste them. When they were warm they tasted like a peanut butter pillow with a hint of chocolate. As they cooled they reminded me of a soft peanut butter oreo, but not as sweet.
I shared these cookies with both friends and family over the next week. Sometimes, I'm not sure how good these cookies are. The response was amazing, everyone was gobbling them up and the part that I found surprising was that people loved the flavor...not too sweet.
It was fun taking a favorite cookie and giving it a twist. If you'd like, you can make the peanut butter blossoms and roll them in oreo cookies (rather than sugar) and finish them with a Hershey Kiss. I'm sure that would be delicious, too!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cookies Rolled in Chocolate Oreo Cookie Crumbs
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of butter, softened
1/4 cup of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla
3 1/2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of finely chopped dark chocolate (or milk chocolate if you prefer)
2 cups of oreo cookie crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cream together peanut butter, brown and white sugars and butter.
2. Blend in the eggs, vanilla and milk. The consistency will get very loose and smooth.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until thoroughly blended.
4. Stir in the finely chopped chocolate. If the dough is sticky, refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
5. Roll to the size of well rounded tablespoon and then roll in the oreo cookie crumbs.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will be puffy and slightly dry.
7. Remove from oven and cool on a cookie rack. The cookies will flatten as they cool.