Finally, the 12 Cookies of Christmas. This has been quite a challenge as I have tried to blog every day. I got a bit behind with making the cookies which offset the blog. I will say though, I did get all 12 in 12 days, plus you got the bonus on November 30th.
I was trying so hard to get all the cookies together but had a disastrous cooking day today. I started making these biscotti early this morning. As I was mixing in the Craisin's and almonds, I noticed they weren't blending into the dough and it was very grainy. As I looked back over the recipe, I had forgotten the sugar. In desperation, I add the sugar which caused a bigger mess. UGH! I stepped on the pedal to the trash compactor and the double batch bit the dust!
My two suggestions when making these cookies.
1. Pay attention to the recipe and don't forget the sugar. I was multi-tasking, and not well, that is why I forgot the sugar.
2. The recipe calls for 2 egg whites. I double the biscotti recipe, which gives me 4 leftover egg yolks, then I make a double batch of Thumbprint Cookies (Day 1). Today, I made 2 double batches of Thumbprint Cookies.
So, recapping the 12 Cookies of Christmas:
1. Thumbprint Cookies - Day 1
2. Andria's Chocolate Chip Cookies - Day 2
3. Ruby Warner's Ginger Snaps - Day 3
4. 7 Layer Bars - Day 4
5. Peanut Butter Blossoms - Day 5
6. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies - Day 6
7. Nannie's Oatmeal Cookies - Day 7
8. Mocha Walnut Cookies - Day 8
9. Milk Chocolate Pecan Bars - Day 9
10. Angie's Almond Slices - Day 10
11. Chocolate Snow-cap Cookies - Day 11
12. Cranberry Almond Biscotti - Day 12
13. Special Thumbprint Cookies - Bonus Cookie
Baker's Dozen! I hope you have enjoyed the cookies, please write and tell me if you have made them. And as Julia Child would say, "Bon Appetit!"
- 2 1/4 cups of flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon almond or vanilla extract (I use vanilla)
1 (6-ounce) package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Sweetened Dried Cranberries, (I use Cranberry Orange Flavor)
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and almond or vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist, The mixture will be thick and very sticky. Add sweetened dried cranberries and almonds. Mix well.
On a floured surface, divide batter in half and pat each half into a log approximately 14-inches long and 1 1/2-inches wide. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees.
Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300ºF. Cut biscotti into 1/2-inch slices. Stand upright on cookie sheet and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let cool and store in a loosely covered container.
One again, easy to freeze and wonderful to have with a cup of tea or coffee.