Here, try one...they're really good. They are a sweet, chocolate-peanut butter treat that's addictive and I bet you can't eat just one. Especially when they have been frozen.
Muddy Buddies have been a long time favorite at our house. When my son, Brian, started taking "home ec" in middle school, the recipe made its way home. Because I tend to freeze extra treats for future events, we froze a few bags after we had doubled one of our first batches. The next thing I knew, the bags were disappearing, one handful at a time. You didn't have to let them thaw, they tasted great frozen.
Brian made some yesterday and when I arrived home I opened the freezer to the delight of...bags of muddy buddies. It put a smile on my face. With no one looking, I opened the bag and popped a few in my mouth...DEE-LICIOUS!
If you need a great little "pick-me-up" snack, try making a batch of muddy buddies, then freeze them. Bet they don't stay around too long.
- 9 cups Corn Chex®, Rice Chex®, Wheat Chex®or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, stir together chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Place in freezer for one or more hours. Enjoy straight from the freezer!
Note: We use Rice Chex® when we make ours, I could also be talked into using Chocolate Chex®.
2009 © and ®/™ of General Mills